Friday, January 11, 2008

Popfly How To- That was easy

Wow!

So at the .NET SIG the other day, one of Jeff's demos was of Popfly and wow was that simple. For the last couple of days I've been walking around the office here talking about how cool Popfly is. So I'm posting some of those same points here (as well as pics of the cutest kid on the planet).



I've got to say that Microsoft's Popfly is the coolest free online app I've seen in a long time. It's
ridiculously easy to create cool and powerful mashups. So easy a 10 year old could do it, yet still fun and powerful enough to make geeks happy.

In fact, I've included a spinny thing (that is a technical term in my offce btw):


What are the steps required?


  1. Open the popfly site and log in with a Live Id
  2. Drag a few "blocks" into your workspace
  3. Drag connections between the blocks
  4. Set a few configuration items

That's it, all there is to it. So, how did I create this cool spinny thing? Simple

  1. Added a Flickr block
  2. Added Photo Carousel
  3. Draw line from flickr to photo
  4. Set flicker type to Photoset and give the id
  5. Run It, you're done!

That's all there is, nothing more. It's really that easy. Popfly is already getting a ton of press, I think it's only going to grow. I'll definitely be using it more.

2 comments:

David Good said...

Thanks, John. "Spinny thing" was the CODE NAME for the spinny thing we're building to take over the world.

Now that the whole world knows we'll have to come up with something new.

Goody

John Stockton said...

No problem, I've got this great idea for an online auction place... Oops.