Friday, February 22, 2008

Poll: What is most important to you in a job?

The recent rash of people changing jobs has really made me think about reasons to switch jobs and about what makes a job worth the switch. 

So I would love to hear from people what they desire in a job.  So I'm going to throw out some items that are desirable in a job and why don't people rank them as to what they want/desire.

  • Interesting project(s)
  • Good co-workers (Talented)
  • Good co-workers (Likeable)
  • Good environment (City/Region)
  • Good environment (Office)
  • Cutting edge technology
  • Difficulty of project
  • Company size (Big)
  • Company size (Small)
  • Variety
  • Salary

I've changed jobs for a lot of these reasons but here is a crack at my personal rankings.  My personal rankings will change from one moment to the next btw.

  1. Interesting project(s)
  2. Good co-workers (Likeable)
  3. Difficulty of project
  4. Cutting edge technology
  5. Variety
  6. Salary
  7. Good co-workers (Talented)
  8. Good environment (Office)

I also believe that any of these can be so good or so bad that it sways the rest of the list.  For instance, if the project is boring but the difficulty and co-workers are high, it still might make the cut (and in fact has).  Also, none of this is set in stone, numerous things can sway a job for good or for bad, I'm just trying to add some science to this chaotic habit of changing jobs. 

So let me hear your thoughts.  Feel free to add as much as you want to these items also.  Or use something completely different, I'm just curious.

No comments: